Hereford,Gloucester,Severn:old Map 1911-24:Bartholomew & Ctc-Topographic Colour

EUR 12,28 Buy It Now 4d 6h, EUR 3,91 Shipping, 30-Day Returns, Pay with PayPal and you're fully protected.

Seller: Top-Rated Seller chapelstile (4.232) 100%, Location: Redhill, Ships to: Worldwide, Item: 352414227896 Seller's Code: 250320181 THIS IS A VINTAGE, 1/2” TO THE MILE BARTHOLOMEW’ S TOPOGRAPHICALLY COLOURED MAP OF HEREFORD No 23 1911-1928 Here the printer’s code suggests 1924 mapped in collaboration with the Cyclist’s Touring Club, 3 years before the Great War to the late 1920’s ......... A short description of this antique map: Here is a particularly interesting antique map It is a map collaboratively produced by Bartholomew and the Cyclist’s Touring Club, whose details are given in the notes below this description. The date is seen in the printer’s code “B24”. 1911 was the first possible year for CTC Bartholomew cooperation. It is also the year in which the Ordnance Survey imposed new copyright rules and required ”by permission” notices to appear on maps- as is seen on the bottom margin of this map. So the collaboration between the cartographer and Cycle Club was contemporary to the copyright changes and probably a response to it. 1924 was one year after the reorganisation of the railways in which the SR, L&NER, LM&SR and late GWR were formed. Hereford is upper centre on this map, on the same longitude of Leominster and Monmouth. At this time Monmouth had an ambiguous status counted in England for some purposes and with Wales for others. So the modern border of the counties, the Lower Wye is just a county border on this map. Railways run into the Forest of Dean to serve coal mines, timber works and the towns of Coleford and Cinderford. The Welsh coal mining valleys are divided between Monmouth and Glamorgan and by this year mots railways have been absorbed within the GWR. It will be noticed that the railway companies are named where more than one company serve different stations in the same town. Thus LMS and GWR are named separately at Gloucester. On this 1911-1924 map terminus stations are seen, open and operating, at: New Radnor, Cinderford, Slesley Stroud, Cheltenham Central Station, ANNOTATION: A cyclist used this map to explore Hereford and the Marches. His annotation is later than the map date: perhaps considerably so, and this can be seen from the note “A4199”: his road of entry which was not so marked on the map. The cyclist rode to Stroud, Slimbridge, Moreton Valence, probably crossing the Severn at the Framilode Ferry. Then on to Longhope near Mitcheldean, then via Ross to Netherton and on to Kenderchurch. Perhaps train was caught from here back home. It is interesting that the cycle ride might have been 40 years after the map was purchased- it is a testament to this best dissected and mounted on linen form of map production: It also has shown, on some other maps found, a repeat journey, perhaps undertaken in one’s youth and redone perhaps on retirement. Other examples have been of a child undertaking a journey on a map used by a parent. Often, though not here, annotated notes from different generations appear on the same map. Here one can be sure that a family map was used circa 1960 for a journey- and that map had been purchased in 1924. GEOLOGY Perhaps the best aspect of a Bartholomew's CTC map is the coloured Topographical cartography. - it gives and instant and very beautiful comprehension of the overall geology of a region. Here Dean (rather obviously) is Upper Westphalian coal bearing rock of the Carboniferous with the Tournaisian Carboniferous limestones trailing away to the south west. The generality of the rocks of the west of this map: the ordinary rocks of Central west Wales are the Lower Old Red Sandstones of the Devonian kind. Then the main rocks of the Welsh Coal Valleys is obviously carboniferous with all sorts of close strata of the Tournaisian type forming narrow belts between. The River Usk is the geological boundary: Sandstone north and east, Coal bearing Carboniferous south and west. The other interesting aspect of this map is the ice front from the last or Devensian Ice Age. It runs more or less from North Glamorgan to Flamborough and all those Copal valleys are the glacial rivers streaming south from that ice wall. So if you extrapolate a rough line north east from Tredegar to 7Fenny and off north east: that is your ice front: tundra and glaciers to the south: ice sheet to the north. The other fascinating aspect of this map is the reshaping of its hydrography at the end of the ice age. The sediment of the central Thames show that its head waters were in Wales and, as a tributary cannot jump over the Severn, one has to imagine a map in which the Severn is not there or flowed north to the Dee. One can imagine the Severn Estuary being the estuary of the Wye Usk and Avon and the catchment area of the Thames being north of that. The agent for the reversal and resculpting of these streams was a meltwater lake centred about Worcestershire and Staffordshire called Lake Lapworth, which broke south and carved Coalbrookdale and the modern Lower Severn. MALVERN HILLS These are central east on the map. They are largely igneous, that is volcanic. They have the Old Red Sandstone to their west: Hereford, and the Triassic Mudstone to the eat (Worcestershire) So later features such as rivers and even counties, follow much earlier geological boundaries. Along the Malvern is the Shire Dyke- one of three parallel dyke systems marking the Marches and the most easterly. Offa’s Dyke is well west. Wat’s Dyke appears a little north. It is interesting that these three dykes, superficially, appear to be protecting England from Wales- which runs a little contrary to the orthodoxy of taught history. It is interesting to speculate that Elgar was alive and working around Worcester and Malvern when this map was published. BLACK MOUNTAINS The Black Mountain seems to be a much repeated name. There is a fell called that, which marked the border between England and Wales, there is a massif called that nearby, and there are more mountains called that further west. “The Black Mountain” must be a Welsh name for there are no “mountains” in the toponyms of England. It is on the edge of the sandstone massif: but one wonders why it is black? sunlight? rock colour is unlikely, forest? And is that named from a Welsh or English view? Welsh toponyms often cite colour: usually Du, Coch, Glas and Gwin for black, red, blue and white: occasionally Melyn for yellow. Glas is the most interesting of these: for it does not equate exactly to blue in Germanic languages. And Green is often called “glas”. Note that grass is Glaswellt in Welsh. On this and on any welsh map these suffixes can mutate as do Fach, Bach and Mawr, Fawr (small and big). The many “Coeds” in the west of this map speak of a time when the Welsh mountains were forested and not turned into a green desert by free ranged sheep. There is an interesting isoglot in the west of the map where “Cefn” and “Ridge” meet and this must show the rough line between spoken Welsh and English at the time that the toponyms were collected . There are plenty of Welsh names in Hereford and publications in Welsh were produced in the county in the 19th century. I wonder if there are any habitual Welsh speakers in the county now- or were at the time of this map. If you take a line due north from the Malvern Hills, you get the same division: Triassic mudstone to the east and Old Red Sandstone to the west but from the Teme Valley north an expanding belt of Carboniferous coal bearing rocks appears: which must have fuelled the growth of the West Midlands towns and the Iron Industry of Coalbrookdale. Worcester is on very flat land and the 100ft colour is not breached anywhere from the tidal Severn to the top of the map at Grimley. Going up the Wye, you can stay below 100ft up as far as Brodbury and Moccas, or the Usk to Llangrwyne. Hereford means “Army Ford”, but there is an interest here because Anglo Saxon, in toponyms, always used “Here” to mean “enemy army”, and nearly always “Norse Army”. Perhaps some Norse army came up the Severn and Wye as far as here- being tracked by the M ercians. The road into Wales marked “Sarn Saesan” is also interesting. The Saxons did not attack Wales much- and as stated the dykes rather indicate attacks came the other way: may be this was a permitted trade route west to the ports which served trade with Ireland: a permission granted perhaps by one of the local Welsh kingdoms such as Morganwy. Hereford differs from Ross and the Severn towns in not being on the east side of its river: that is, not obviously protecting itself from a western attack MAP STATS: OLDMAPSHOP - IS MY SOURCE ONLINE FOR MAP AND CARTOGRAPHIC HISTORY TITLE: Hereford, Map 23 Bartholomew and Cyclist’s Touring Club DATES: 1911 -1924 PUBLISHER: John Bartholomew FRGS EDITION: ½ inch to the mile- Revised 1/2 Inch Map PRINTER: Edinburgh Geographical Institute PRINTING CODE: B24 PRINTING PROCESS: Helio Zincograph SCALE: 1/2 inches to the mile GRID: 10 minutes of a degree Mercator OVERALL DIMENSIONS: Roughly 29 inches by 21 inches COVER DIMENSIONS: Roughly 7 ½ inches by 4 inches COVER DETAIL: blue cloth black letters, black and red lettering MAP PAPER OR LINE BACKED: linen backed FOLD WEAR: yes- a delicate old map on linen: probably cycled round Sussex in 1911: only example of this 1st Bartholomew CTC series year found. EDGE NICKS: at edge fold junctions PIN HOLES AT FOLD JUNCTIONS: not so relevant because dissected VERSO: Plain linen FOXING: no REINFORCING: no SURFACE MARKING: annotation as noted FOLDED INTO: 24 sections ANNOTATION: cyclist of 1950’s-60’s on a map of his father’s? Or of his own youth? INTEREST: considerable: a unique map of the Old CTC Bartholomew's series- the country a year after railway were reorganised, Wye Severn Sandstone Mudstone and Carboniferous rocks define rivers and county lines as well as industry: Old Forest of Dean – Geological perspective GENERAL CONDITION: complete, antique, delicate- rarely seen dissected and mounted in sections: best form THE NORTH WEST CORNER OF THIS MAP IS AT: Cwm-brith THE NORTH EAST CORNER OF THIS MAP IS AT: Himbledon THE SOUTH EAST CORNER OF THIS MAP IS AT: Tarlton THE SOUTH WEST CORNER OF THIS MAP IS AT: Cefn Merthyr THE CENTRE OF THIS MAP IS AT: Pencoyd General Description of a Bartholomew’s 1/2 inch topographically coloured map: These are very attractive maps which give the reader an instant appreciation of the geological structure of a landscape as well as the cycle-able, drive-able roads. In their classic form they were printed to the 1960's. The earliest were Victorian. They are topographically coloured, which Bartholomew used to call “Orographically coloured”. The OS calls this “Contour coloured”. The tints represent altitude zones with a range from white for the highest peaks of Scotland to a pale apple green for land just above sea level. County borders are purple, rivers are blue if large and black if small. Sometimes the single black line for a railway and a river might be confused. Tidal reaches are pale blue and permanent water is a cerulean blue. Roads are uncoloured, ochre or tertiary red, later maps number A and B roads with red numbers and letters according to the MOT demarcation. Woods are a represented tree symbol because, of course, the green has already been used for topography. The Ordnance Survey, when they used similar shading, coloured woodlands green and therefore could only use and ochre-umber range for the topography. The limited symbols included Youth Hostels, National Trust, Golf Courses, Railways, Canals and Airfields. Footpaths are dotted. The grid is 10 minutes of a degree. The borders were also numbered and lettered. Technique. The Bartholomew Map, being coloured on a black base might be assumed to be purely lithographic. But I think that is not true. The earlier ones had a fine black base plate which was probably electrotype and some colour , if examined under a glass is seen to be lined or matrixed. Therefore I think maps maps must have been letterpress or if lithographed: that was taken from an electrotyped and letterpressed original. Cartographic features It is interesting to note the four holes in the corners of most Bartholomew maps. These were registration pegs used in the multiple plate printing and are not owner’s pin holes. If the word “Ordnance” appears on the cover it is an early map, for the OS prohibited this in c.1911. If the map contains an acknowledgement of Ordnance Survey permission, then it is Post 1911. If the map is in collaboration with the Cyclists Touring Club, the dates are circa 1911-1928. Maps might also be dated by the aircraft graphic: there is an early form and a later form- roughly Pre War and Post War. The early form is “bi-plane like” and the later form is “hurricane like” Tidal banks are usually well named, suggesting that the base surveys of the OS used by Bartholomew, are quite a bit older than the map, and incorporated information from Admiralty charts. If the map contains an acknowledgement of the Ordnance Survey, it is Post 1911. Spot heights are common, on promontories, hills and on roads. They are probably correct to the old Liverpool Datum which was surveyed prior to 1915. If the covers float the map is older, if hinged it is more recent. A standard size for a Bartholomew’s map would be about 32 inches by 22 1/2 inches. The versi are always plain and may be paper or linen backed. Peculiarities Bartholomew might anticipate features (which the OS never did). The railway tunnel from Lymington to the Isle of Wight and the Channel Tunnel of the 1900’s are two examples of anticipation which can be found. In both those cases the projects were not realised. War and Post War editions. As stated: Bartholomew marked airfields with a biplane symbol pre-war and a Hurricane-like symbol post-war. War maps had neither because the airfields were redacted. They would reappear in the 1960's maps. The war-period edition is found in the 1940's and into the 1950's. Other symbols hidden included radio towers. Ordnance Reduction: This is a ½ inch to the mile reduction of the Ordnance Survey, printed in colours and revised locally by Bartholomew. The Ordnance Survey is acknowledged on the bottom margin, where a date is usually, but not always cited. As stated: if this acknowledgement is not seen- suspect a date prior to 1911. Bartholomew used to copy OS maps on a 1” scale but stopped doing so in 1911- so that was probably an OS ban. Royal Appointment: Bartholomew's had the Royal Patronage of George V and continued his Royal Arms at bottom centre of their map sheets, with the dedication “By Appointment to the Late King George V” after his death. When collaborating with the Cyclists' Touring Club in the 1920’s. The Royal Arms were not seen and a winged Wheel symbol of the C.T.C is shown. These CTC maps pre-date the Royal Appointment maps. The arms of the “Late King”, allowed Bartholomew to boast Royal Appointment long after their patronage had been transferred to the Ordnance Survey. Publication: These maps were printed and published from the Edinburgh Geographical Institute in Duncan Street, and this is cited at bottom left on the map sheet. A More extensive details of John Bartholomew & Sons are to be found in the “Historical Notes” below. The Map Covers and Edition Earlier separate Scottish and England & Wales series were revised into a “Great Britain Survey” which had 62 maps. No 1 was S.W. Cornwall, and number 62 was Shetland. These were the “Revised Half Inch Contour Maps”. Earlier surveys had different numbering. Also titles may change- some use County names and some District names for similar surveys- for example “Lincolnshire” or “The Fens”; “Cumberland” or “The Lake District”. Classic covers are blue red and black, with much variation in the blue and style changes, particularly in lettering and the Cover Royal Arms: red and black in the War editions; Blue and Orange/Red in the Post War ones, which cause a curious complimentary colour illusion when an orange red juxtaposed with a lighter blue. Sheet numbers were at top corner of the cover: map type (cloth or paper) and price appeared at the bottom. Sometimes a “Complimentary Colour effect” is seen when a blue inclines towards turquoise and the red inclines towards vermilion. . A letter or letter an number code can usually be found on a Bartholomew’s map: look first bottom left or top left. That code disguises with it a printing date. CYCLIST’ TOURING CLUB HISTORY The Bicycle Touring Club was its name from 1878-1883, when it became the Cyclists' Touring Club CTC ). It still exists. It worked specifically with Bartholomew, choosing roads and tracks from 1911-1928. Bartholomew maps later than 1928 still use some CTC road choices. Most towns had a “Consul” for the club. They approved hotels and guest houses and published their names in the annual route books. In 1911-1928 it cooperated with Bartholomew and chose roads for their topographically shaded maps – placing their logo at bottom centre on the map sheet. This map proves that much earlier- c 1880's, it cooperated with George Philip. Stanley Cotterell from Edinburgh founded it, but its headquarters became established at 139-140 Fleet Street. It put up road signs. Its members wore uniforms for a time. It encouraged women to cycle and advocated “sensible clothing” which meant trousers: not long dresses and bonnets, which were generally deemed suitable. Their uniform was a dark green jacket, knickerbockers and a peaked helmet. The uniform changed to grey. They often rode in groups with a bugler at the front. The pioneer for Women’s modern clothing was Lady Harberton, who had a "Western Society for Sensible Dress" or some such named body. In the late 1920’s they campaigned for not to support cycle paths; fearing that they would loose their rights on the open road. They were often in court, trying to further or protect cyclists’ rights. In 1906 it almost became a motoring organisation too but a court blocked this saying it could not represent the interests of both cars and cycles. The CTC used to put up road signs and signs in hotel and shop windows – as do the AA- They published route books with suggested hotels and guest houses of which some 50% were (at times) Temperance. There was a strong link between Temperance and Cycling which is why Bacon’s Cycle maps often have. Bovril, Fry’s Cocoa, Cadbury’s Chocolate etc advertised. Those Quaker confectioners were strong in the Temperance Movement. In 2016, with stunning lack of history and crassness, the CTC voted to call themselves “Cycling UK”. The badge was a cycle wheel with three wings within it and the initials CTC- an iconic badge which no doubt they have also changed for some modern graphic. I have just looked it up: "We are cycling UK" in yellow and blue play-school lettering; so that is that then- all that was sacred is profaned. ............. BARTHOLOMEW MAPS- HISTORICAL NOTES Bartholomew, more than Ordnance Survey, concentrate on the traveller- The Railway traveller at first and the Road traveller in the 20th century. Red flags marking distance became a feature of their road maps. The geology of a Bartholomew's map is eye catching and instantly comprehensible- with the lush leaf greens of the low lands and the siennas and greys of the rising heights. County borders are also well defined and the whole effect is a much more colourful piece of lithographic cartography than an equivalent OS piece. It has, perhaps one visual fault, that is: that colour gradation for height can easily be interpreted as vegetation growth or lack of it- and though the two are not unrelated- the parallel is far from exact. The “psychological” effect of their coloured “orography” is of a lush lowlands and increasingly barren uplands- which may not be the case. Very unfussy and uncomplicated border legends also add to its attractiveness.- with the Royal Cypher usually at bottom centre. When Bartholomews worked with the Cyclists' Touring Club, their badge replaced the Royal Arms. The Royal patronage enjoyed by Batholomew was only of George V: thus, after his death: the dedication read, “of the Late King George V”. This company was not as assiduous about dating as OS but the notes below offer clues to dating- written by the company's archivist and historian. A revision date is given in the margin here, combined with the OS acknowledgement; both are not always present. Where as Ordnance Survey produce documents of record, Bartholomew's maps evoke a landscape. They are, in a sense, a return to an earlier form of cartography in which pictorial art combined with cartography. Another technical flaw in the symbolism, it could be argued, was the dual use of black lines for railways and rivers; the two could not be confused on OS maps. Some information below is learnt from Mr K Winch's very good history of Bartholomew maps – he was the map curator of the company and a cartographic historian. Readers are recommended to view the site on-line by this historian. A BRIEF GUIDE TO DATING BARTHOLOMEW MAPS: Bartholomew map printing business started in the year 1826, Bartholomews were Edinburgh cartographers and their Edinburgh premises – were at: 4a North Bridge 1859-1870 and then at 31 Chambers Street 1870-1889 which had been called 17, Brown’s Square. At the turn of the century their works moved to Park Road (1889-1911) then to 12 Duncan Street from 1911 until 1995. The Edinburgh Geographical Institute was located at Duncan Street and its image can be seen on advertising panels on the versi of certain vintage Bartholomew maps: a long low semi-Gothic building with turreted towers. In 1989 Bartholomew merged with the publisher Harper Collins Publishers and in 1995 the company finally left Duncan Street to a site occupied by the new merged company at Westerhill Road, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow MAPS: On early editions no date was included on the map. Sometimes a 4 figure print job number written. This is generally found against the margin in the bottom left corner.. From about 1911 until 1945 a date code was used in which the last two numbers represented the year of publication preceded by an “A” or a “B” indicating in which half of the year the print run took place – thus B21 would be the second half of 1921. This number and letter is usually by the margin at top or bottom left. One some maps it is at centre bottom margin. Bartholomew's ½ Inch to 1 Mile Series, of which there were many, were popular maps often revised in various series of editions with changing sheet names and numbering which altered between these editions: England, England and Wales, Scotland, Great Britain. SCOTLAND: 1875-1886 Reduced Ordnance Maps of Scotland Also: Bartholomew’s Reduced Ordnance Survey of Scotland: 30 ‘District’ sheets. Prepared and printed by J. Bartholomew for Adam & Charles Black. 1890-1895 Bartholomew’s Reduced Ordnance Survey of Scotland. Bartholomew’s Reduced Ordnance Survey, Maps of Scotland for Tourist’s & Cyclists: 29 sheets. With open borders. 1896-1926 Bartholomew’s Reduced Ordnance Survey of Scotland, 2 miles to an inch. Called Bartholomew’s New Reduced Survey for Tourists & Cyclists. 29 sheets. Early maps in brown covers, later maps after 1911in blue covers. 1922-1927 Bartholomew’s “Half-Inch to Mile” Map of Scotland. Called Bartholomew’s Revised Half-Inch to Mile for Motorists & Cyclists. 29 sheets. 1921-1932 Bartholomew’s “Half-Inch to Mile” map of Scotland. called: Bartholomew’s Revised “Half-Inch” contoured maps. 1933-1937 Bartholomew’s Revised Half-Inch map. There is an interesting map in an unusual 1 1/2” scale for Pedestrians” (Ramblers) in the Pentland Hills- executed with the aid of the Scottish Rights of Way Society- seen once as A45 (1945) Orographically coloured ENGLAND & WALES ONE INCH I have only found one of these: It had very simple borders, only citing the publisher and printer, no border measurement or scale marking, no degrees, not citation or acknowledgement. Called itself a Touring map and had Art Nouveau letters on a hinged cover and very robust linen back. Good detail of mines, quarries and factories in a clear and un cluttered manner- orographic and citing the names of railway companies which the 1/2” did not generally do. The title of this example was Windermere & Morecambe Bay, and inside it was advertising a new reduced series of ½ inch which put the date at the time of the dispute over OS copyright- 1910-11. The cover used the words “From the Ordnance Survey” and it was (if ever sold) 2/-. It may have been a series which had to be abandoned for copyright reasons. W H SMITHS John Bartholomew printed maps for W H Smith Station Bookstalls which were red cloth covered with a cream label printed black on the front. The process was an engraved base map from an earlier Ordnance map with counties coloured lithographically. The “target audience” changed from Travellers to Travellers and Tourists, To Cyclist and Tourists. These maps carried no date and are best dated by seeing which railways were not yet marked as finished. The evidence of this red hard covered series suggest dates of 1870s-1890. Later , around 1900, the Smith's Railway Bookshop maps looked more like a Bartholomew's map with a blue and black cloth cover with a black and red label. The maps were wholly lithographically printed and the counties only bordered in a colour- not blocked in. By now, suggested roads were coloured- which they had not been. “Tourists and Cyclists” were the target public- motors were not yet mentioned. These blue covered Smiths/ Bartholomew Maps of Circa 1900 are perhaps some of the most aesthetically pleasing of all maps printed by the Edinburgh company. The whole series of Railway Station maps- Red covered and then Blue Covered-seem to have uniform pin holes which do not align with folds and are, therefore, not fold wear: They must have been made by a form of registration in the printing presses. George Baxter used a similar pin hole form of registration. The Smiths Bartholomew maps can be dated by the number of titles cited in the series list: there were initially 42 titles, then 62, 69 and 82, beginning with the red cloth covers and changing later into the blue cloth covers. In the Edwardian Era Bartholomews printed an England and Wales series in 1/4” scale which was their first attempt to appeal to the motor market. The base was white and taken from a Victorian Ordnance map. Counties were purple bordered, the water was an unusual cerulean blue. The maps were large with 12 sheets covering the two countries. Covers were simple, lettered and blue- quite unlike other Bartholomews amps of the time. Covers floated and and advertising panel for their Atlases appeared on the verso. The series was short lived- expensive at 3/- and the last “Victorian” form – extending the format of the Railway station maps for the new Motorists market. They are attractive maps but rarely seen. 1897-1903 Bartholomew’s Reduced Ordnance Survey of England & Wales, scale 2 miles to 1 inch. called: Bartholomew’s Reduced Ordnance Survey for Tourists & Cyclists. These maps included in Survey Atlas of England & Wales of 1903. 1904-1920 Bartholomew’s “Half-Inch to Mile” map of England & Wales. Called Bartholomew’s new Reduced Survey for Tourists & Cyclists. 37 sheets. On this map first class and second class roads were differentiated for the first time. 1924-1926 Bartholomew’s “Half-Inch to Mile” map of England & Wales. Called Bartholomew’s Revised Half-Inch to Mile for Motorists & Cyclists. 37 sheets. 1926-1936 Bartholomew’s “Half-Inch to Mile” map of England & Wales. Called Bartholomew’s Revised half-Inch Contoured Maps. GREAT BRITAIN 1936-1943 Bartholomew’s Revised Half-Inch Map. Called: Bartholomew’s Revised “Half-Inch” Contoured Maps. 62 sheets. 1940-1963 Bartholomew’s Revised Half-Inch Map, Great Britain. Called Bartholomew’s Revised “Half-Inch” Contoured Maps.) All Great Britain-62 sheets. 1961-1974 Bartholomew’s Revised Half-Inch Map, Great Britain, called: Bartholomew’s Half-Inch Contoured Great Britain. 1975 - 1999 Bartholomew 1:100,000 Map of Britain. But they stopped comprehensive coverage in the 1980’s as sales dropped. A few popular maps covering popular tourist areas were revised. By the end of the 1990’s the series' production run finished. BARTHOLOMEW-STANFORD: Edward Stanford of Charing Cross and Whitehall had bespoke versions of Bartholomew maps published to their own high standards. They were dissected and mounted on fine linen. Many features were removed making the maps less cluttered and more attractive. The covers were plainer and cited Stanford and Bartholomew. Other ways of dating Bartholomew maps: Road Numbering was first added to sheets in 1921 following its introduction by the Ministry of Transport the previous year. CTC: Between c1911 and 1928 an arrangement existed between Bartholomew and the Cyclists’ Touring Club for their members to send in any revisions they found to the maps. This was acknowledged by the club logo in the lower border of the map. NOTE: having written the above, at a later date a set of maps was found which questioned this dating: this is an extract of one of them, which was annotated, and showed South Northumberland: “Most histories claim that the Cyclists' Touring Club maps were 1920’s, or at the very earliest the 19 teens, yet here is an example which challenges that: it is annotated as follows: “Ron Gilbert Rivington, St John's House Clerkenwell 1907”. One must conclude that some CTC Bartholomew maps were trialled earlier in the Edwardian era, that they were sold via agents who attached their labels to the front and that the better known series with symbol key and Royal Arms came later. On this example “The Geographical Institute” were written in an Art Nouveau Script; a movement dated 1890-1910. This is the series in which the Cyclists' Touring Club chose the roads and classified them. Their logo appears at centre bottom recto of the sheet in place of the usual Royal Arms. It was assumed always that the CTC logo replaced the “By Appointment to the King George V”, but the evidence of this map indicates that the CTC Bartholomew map predate that Royal Appointment.” Table of prices and increases at the dates, a useful as a guide. Prices are here listed for 1st Paper flat 2nd Paper folded 3rd Cloth folded 4th Dissected & Folded 1897 2/6 3/6 - 1890 1/- 2/- - 1898 1/- 2/- 2/6 1912 1/6 2/- 2/6 1920 1/6 3/- 4/- 1943 2/6 4/- 5/6 1950 2/6 4/- 6/- 1952 2/6 3/- 6/- 9/- 1953 3/- 3/- 5/- 7/6 1957 3/- 3/- 5/- 10/- 1963 3/- 5/- 10/- 1968 4/- 6/- 12/6 1970 4/- (20p) 6/- (30p) 15/- (75p) 1971 6/- (30p) 8/- (40p) 20/- (£1) Some aspects of Bartholomew maps distinguished them from OS- tendency to map rivers in black. And railways also in single black line . Geographical maps often using a colour shading method to show altitude from Blue at sea level through shades of green then shades of sienna brown with the darkest as the highest (white at highest points when needed.) This is termed “orographic”- a word used by Bartholomew's and seldom heard elsewhere- it comes from the Green word for “Hills”. More emphasis on road transport- cycles and cars, with less incidental and historical detail than OS- generally smaller folded format with a cover board of about 8” by 4”- so more of the appearance of a pocket map about many of the series. Back and front boards often not joined but mounted separately on the back of the sheet which folded to concertina the map between the boards- generally an easier map to fold than an OS equivalent. Some have a "third board" set between the end boards which was used to advertise the Pocket Atlas series- this board was sometimes white, sometimes blue. Some maps have up to three verso advertising panels- nearly always blue printed on a yellow background which gives the appearance of green on yellow. On some maps cartography taken from Ordnance Survey is acknowledged- this map refer to the contours of altitude, which are colour graded in these series but just linear on the OS. The two companies have come to blows over issues of copy write so the co-operation was never complete and perhaps happened only in certain periods. The Ordnance Survey was never acknowledged on C.T.C. Co-operative maps of the 1920s (Cyclists' Touring Club). On earlier maps Bartholomew used a grid in minutes of longitude and latitude- In circa 1900 they used 10 minutes of longitude and 15 minutes of latitude which made a rough square grid- later 10 minutes of both longitude and latitude which on these projections made a north-south elongated rectangular grid. The success of Bartholomews maps car drivers and particularly cyclists was demonstrated by their endorsement by the Cyclists' Touring Club, who edited the maps for their members. This prompted the Ordnance Survey to attempt to capture the same market and having no CTC endorsement, the OS pitched their Pocket Road Maps at motor-cyclists. OS also had a version of Bartholomew's graded colour to express height in its Traveller Series. Geographia, which specialised in town maps particularly- was a branch of Bartholomew Map Co.. Post war, Bartholomew produced very fine political maps of foreign regions. Scandinavia is one such fine map. North Africa is another and France and the Low Countries appeared in two sheets individually bound. This was the “Bartholomew's World Layered Series”. Their General World series had 31 titles: AFRICA; AFRICA, CENTRAL AND EAST;AFRICA SOUTH AND MADAGASCAR; AFRICA SOUTH, OROGRAPHICAL WALL MAP; AMERICA NORTH; AMERICA SOUTH; AUSTRALIA; AUSTRALIA SOUTH EAST; BURMA, MALAYA & INDO CHINA; CHINA; ETHIOPIA; EUROPE EASTERN; EUROPE WESTERN; EUROPE & MEDITERRANEAN; FAR EAST AND WESTERN PACIFIC; FRANCE AND LOW COUNTRIES 2 SHEETS; GERMANY AUSTRIA AND SWITZERLAND 2 SHEETS; GERMANY AND CENTRAL EUROPE; GERMANY AND POLAND; INDIA, BURMA & CEYLON; ITALY AND BALKANS; JAPAN; MIDDLE & NEAR EAST; NEW ZEALAND; PALESTINE; RUSSIA IN EUROPE; SCANDINAVIA; SPAIN & PORTUGAL; SWITZERLAND; WORLD ROUTE CHART; WORLD LIBRARY CHART. The family: George Bartholomew: 1784-1871, but active from 1797, worked as an engraver for Lizars in Edinburgh. His son, the first John Bartholomew,1805 - 1861, began to work independently in 1826, founding the firm . The most notable and sought after early work by him was Black’s General Atlas of 1846. This was still in production in 1856-60 period and a famous edition has maps which include the attempts to find Franklin and the first evidence of the fate of the crew of the Erebus and Terror John (2) Bartholomew (1831–1893) and his son John (3) George Bartholomew (1860–1920) brought the firm to prominence in British cartography. Then John (4) G. Bartholomew made the firm a publisher of its own works, before they had produced maps for other firms. John (5) Ian Bartholomew (1890–1962) oversaw the Times World Atlas 1922 and later the Mid-Century Edition of the Times World Atlas of 1955-60. The cartographic tradition continued into a fifth family generation. John B Bartholomew 1923–2008, oversaw the publication of some of the most detailed and popular maps of the 20th century. In 1989, the firm merged with the Glasgow publisher Collins, as part of the Harper-Collins Publishers. The name Bartholomew survives as the trade name of Harper-Collins' cartographic on-line business – called “Collins Bartholomew”. Their British mapping arm was formerly called Geographia Ltd. It was based in Cheltenham until that office was closed in 2009, and is best known for its town street maps. Condition: BEST PREPARATION - DISSECTED AND MOUNTED IN SECTIONS. ON LINEN, ORIGINAL COVERS, FOLDS TO 24: ANNOTATION LATER THAN MAP: MAY BE 40 YEARS LATER: CYCLIST REVISITS A JOURNEY OF HIS YOUTH? OR A PERSON FOLLOWS A ROUTE OF HIS FATHER'S MAP? BEST OVERVIEW OF THE GEOLOGY OF HEREFORD,M GLOUCESTER, MONMOUTH AND THE YEAR AFTER THE NEW RAILWAY COMPANIES WERE INSTIGATED - 1923. 1911 1ST PUBLICATION- PRINTERS CODE SUGGESTS 1924, County: Glamorgan, Cartographer/Publisher: BARTHOLOMEW AND CYCLISTS' TOURING CLUB, Printing Technique: Lithography, Original/Reproduction: VINTAGE/ANTIQUE ORIGINAL, OLD RAILWAYS OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE: SEVERN WYE AND OVERALL GEOLOGY, Format: 1/2@ TOPOGRAPHICAL COLOUR- DISSECTED, OLD RAILWAYS OF HEREFORDSHIRE: INTER WAR DETAIL AND CTC CHOICE OF ROADS, Type: bartholomew and cyclists touring club 1911-1924, Year: 1911-1924 publication and printing, Date Range: 1911 TO 1924- SERIES CONTINUED TO 1928, City: HEREFORD, GLOUCESTER, ABERGAVENNY, WORCESTER, ROSS, Country/Region: England, State: THE WELSH MARCHES, ENGLAND AND WALES BORDERLANDS, Era: FROM JUST BEFORE GREAT WAR, TO JUST AFTER IT

PicClick Insights PicClick Exclusive
  •  Popularity - 216 views, 0.6 views per day, 356 days on eBay. Super high amount of views. 0 sold, 1 available.
  •  Price -
  •  Seller - 4.232+ items sold. 0% negative feedback. Top-Rated Seller! Ships on time with tracking, 0 problems with past sales.
Similar Items